What different types of domain names are there?
There are gTLD and ccTLD domain names. A top-level domain (TLD) is the suffix that is attached to the end of a domain name. For instance, in the domain name cocacola.com, .com is the TLD.
There are two types of top-level domains: global and country code. Global Top Level Domains (gTLD) were created to be used by the Internet public, while country code Top Level Domains (ccTLD) were created to be used by each individual country, as they deem necessary.
THE GLOBAL TOP LEVEL DOMAINS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
.com .net .org .edu .mil .gov .biz .info .co
SOME EXAMPLES OF COUNTRY CODE TOP LEVEL DOMAINS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- .uk (United Kingdom)
- .au (Australia)
- .nz (New Zealand)
- .ca (Canada)
- .za (South Africa)
IN NEW ZEALAND, THE FOLLOWING SECOND LEVEL DOMAIN NAME TYPES ARE AVAILABLE:
- .ac.nz – Tertiary educational institutions and related organisations
- .co.nz – Commercial organisations and businesses
- .gen.nz – Individuals and other organisations not covered elsewhere
- .govt.nz – For Government departments and organisations.
- .iwi.nz – Maori tribe, typified by a Trust Board
- .net.nz – Organisations and service providers directly related to the NZ Internet
- .org.nz – Not-for-profit organisations
- .school.nz – Primary, secondary and pre-schools and related organizations
- .geek.nz – For the Geeks of New Zealand
What about .co domains?
.co is the new domain name that gives you a 2nd chance at registering the domain name you’ve always wanted for the special introductory 1 year registration price of $50 +gst!
Other domain name registrars are charging up to $80 +gst.
The main benefits of registering a .co domain name:
- It’s a credible alternative to the popular global .com domain.
- It gives businesses and brands the chance to create a worldwide profile.
- It’s meaningful, memorable and intuitive to use for everyone around the world.
- It’s an opportunity to register a shorter version of your .com domain.
- It’s relevant to individuals, not for profit organisations and businesses alike.
Please note: .co domains can only be registered for up to 5 years, and renewed for up to 5 years.
What domains do you offer for registration?
We are a registrar for the .nz domain names and all the other TLD listed above. Please note there are also some restrictions to some TLD registrations e.g. an ABN or ACN number is required to register .AU domains.
If you have a query about whether we are able to register a domain name for you, please Contact Support
How much does registering a domain name cost?
The cost of registration varies depending upon whether the domain name being registered and the term. For more information, click on the Domain Name Registration Pricing link to view the most up to date pricing.